Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Wedding Day: A Recap, Part 2 - The Ceremony

Let's see, where were, we? Oh yes, getting ready to walk down the aisle ...

Ready!

Also ready!

So as I peered out the door, my parents walked toward me and opened the door. I walked out and saw the crowded church before me and picked out a few friends and relatives quickly. But before I had much time to think, the music changed over and we headed down the aisle - as Anne H. "poufed" my dress for me. The aisle is very short - only 9 pews I think. So soon, we had reached the end, and there was John, and my parents hugged and kissed me, greeted John, and the Mass began.

Here are the details:

Prelude
Velocity of Love
My Song Will Be for You Forever
Prelude in C Major
Air for Water Music

Processional
Canon in D
Trumpet Voluntary

Gathering Song
All Are Welcome

First Reading
Sirach 6:5-6, 14-17

Responsorial Psalm
The Lord Is Kind and Merciful

Second Reading
1 John 4:7-12

Gospel Acclamation
Mass of Light Alleluia

Gospel
Matthew 22:35-40

Homily
Rite of Marriage
Exchange of Vows
Blessing and Exchange of Rings
Prayers of the Faithful

Presentation of Gifts
The Servant Song

Eucharistic Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer
Nuptial Blessing
Sign of Peace

Communion
We Are Many Parts
Make Me A Channel

Final Blessing and Presentation of the Couple

Recessional
Ode to Joy

Postlude
Canticle of the Sun


After we answered the few initial questions, the regular parts of the Mass went on while John and I sat in our special chairs by the altar. We listened intently to the readings we picked out. Our priest made everyone laugh during his homily with his heartfelt words about John and me.

And then it was time for the vows. John and I both got all the words out, no miscues, no mistakes, yay! (Well, there was a little mistake - I left my bouquet on the bouquet table next to my seat and didn't have it to hand to Sarah before exchanging rings with John.) While I was all kinds of happy, it was a bit of a relief to me after that part was over! I don't really like being front and center with all eyes on me!

Apparently our kiss was not caught on camera. This is what we got: post-kiss!

I made it through the vows part without crying, though I did get choked up a few times during the petitions when I thought of all my family and friends who are no longer with us on earth or who were unable to attend.

The Mass continued on through the consecration, sign of Peace, Our Father, and so on.

One of the neat things we did was distribute communion (Body of Christ) so that was good to be able to give communion to many on my side of the church. It was sort of odd though, because I've distributed communion for, oh 11 years or so, and 95% of the people give the expected answer "Amen." The other 5 percent say nothing or "thanks." But during the wedding I got a few answers of "You look great!" And one person patted my arm. So, um, yeah, that was unusual. John had never distributed before, but he did great.

After we processed out, John and I turned around and walked back in to dismiss our guests. That was also fun, to see the people on the other half of the church and those who did not receive communion. Though, I wish some of the people had introduced themselves, especially on John's side. I didn't know who some of the guests were!

Greeting John's mom after the Mass.

So, it was a great Wedding Mass. We got more compliments than I could imagine on the music and on the priest, especially.

The singers all did fabulous - beyond fabulous - jobs. We got so many positive comments on the singing by Sarah, Deanna and Bill. Thank you all so much for participating.

And our readers - I know how hard it is to read in front of 200 people! Rachel stepped up to the plate at the (almost) last minute to read after one of my original readers was unable to make it to Ohio from Minnesota. So thanks Rachel! And new mom Laura did great while her son chilled out with his grandparents. David, who did the petitions, read the words we wrote/borrowed very nicely.

And our gift bearers - Jeanne, Jim, Judy and Rob - thank you!!

Our communion distributors - Katie, Sr. Mediatrix, Ed and Helen - figured out all the instructions with ease. We appreciate your participation!

Our wedding party did all the right steps at the right times. We appreciate all the dress fittings, tux fittings, time spent shopping for silver shoes, time spent at showers, the bachelorette and bachelor parties, the time coming to Cincinnati from Illinois, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Columbus. Sarah, Raegan, Anne, Mary, Peggy, Pete, Paul, Dan, Brett and Jim - and Maria: You are some of our best friends and cherished family members. We are honored that you stood up for us and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

The wedding party!

... And our flower girl, Maria - adorable!

So, once the whirlwind of the ceremony was over, it was time for more pictures of course! Once those were through with, it was time to get back in the limo and head to the reception. Time for FUN ...

JUST MARRIED!

Next Up: Recap, Part 3 - The Reception

No comments:

Post a Comment