Thursday, July 19, 2007

Wedding Day: A Recap, Part 3 - Reception!

Making our grand entrance!

I promise, this is the last part of Wedding Day! Recaps will resume about our adventures in Hawaii.

So ... the limo ride to the reception was fabulous - no getting lost. We had some champagne and granola bars. (Hey, once the nerves went away, I was suddenly really hungry! And that's what we had!)

We got to the reception spot, and the DJ came and talked to us for awhile, and then soon it was time to make our entrance. We chose to walk into Blue Moon in honor of the blue moon the day (in part of the world at least). Plus if you read the words, they're kinda appropriate for a wedding!

Dad tells one of his Katie stories.

That was followed by toasts. My dad only embarrassed me a little. OK, maybe a lot. But I never got drunk and let anyone convince me to say the alphabet backwards in like 2 seconds (my hidden talent). And yes, I did have a habit of saying "Katie do it self" when I was a child. But they're not things I normally talk about! Sarah and Raegan had me almost to tears with their thoughtful and heartfelt toasts. And so I like my Missouri Tigers - I'm proud of that! I need to go back to watch the video to see if I missed anything. Maybe I'll figure out how to post some video! John's brother/best man Pete also gave a very nice toast that included anecdotes about gifts John and I have given his daughter (including her birthday present, Katy Cindy the Cabbage Patch doll, who actually made it in some of our wedding photos!)

Cheers! John and I toasted with the same glasses my parents used at their wedding, Nov. 26, 1971.

But the toasts are also when the biggest snafu of the day occurred - the staff did not get champagne to the guests in time for the toasts. The champagne was paid for, poured in glasses - and sitting in the kitchen. We're not sure why, as we were assured that staff could have it to the tables for the toasts, which the coordinator knew were happening shortly after we arrived. So, that was unfortunate, but hey, everyone got champagne with cake. (If anyone was confused, now you know what happened!)

Following that we ate the delicious food from our buffet. And since that granola bar had not filled me up, I chowed down and cleaned my plate. Maybe that was a bad idea because a few hours later, my dress was feeling pretty tight!

Pretty cake, awkward feeding.

Once everyone was served, it was time to cut the cake. The bottom layer was chocolate - yum - and we were nice to each other - no smushing. But cake cutting is kind of awkward. We'd never thought to think about it ahead of time. So we're both kinda like "what do we do?" So the photographer was trying to instruct us. And the flower girl really wanted to get close to the cake. (She's a big fan of cake!)

Fortunately we did get to eat a piece each later (I got vanilla with raspberry. yum!) and also heard compliments that the cake was good from others. There were 4 different kinds I think. We guess somebody got to eat the top, because when my mom went to ask the next day, it was gone. Oh well. We'll make ourselves a cake on our first anniversary and pretend I guess!!

All smiles during our first dance.

Our first dance, to I Will Be Here For You, by Michael W. Smith followed. We didn't take dance lessons, so it was mostly a laid back sway, but that's us!! My Dad and I danced to the Missouri Waltz, and half way through invited other fathers and daughters to join us, which is a fun custom. And then John and his mom danced to Unforgettable, later joined by other mothers and sons.

The anniversary dance was one of the largest I've ever seen. Seriously, probably more than 100 people started out. We threw in a few inside "milestones" for some friends and for our parents, who've been married 35 (mine) and 39 (John's) years. The longest married couple was my mom's cousin Bob and his wife, Audrey, from Michigan. They will celebrate their 50th anniversary in August. Congratulations! I've talked to Bob a few times at various family events, but he used to own a machine shop, and when I worked for Modern Machine Shop magazine, I went to a trade show, and he gave me a tour around his company's booth and told me about what they did. So, that was a kind gesture, and I'm glad I got a chance to return the kindness (sort of) by honoring them with a bouquet.

I hope we look this good in 50 years!

After that we got to more dancing, though the crowd seemed more into chatting than dancing. Go figure! Or maybe it was the bright security light over the dance floor that couldn't be turned off. That's the kinda thing you don't notice when you tour the place! But, people said they had fun, and a lot of people stuck around past 11 for the final few songs. The Schmid side (especially some of the kids) were into living it up on the dance floor!

I was surprised by a few things, based on attending so many weddings. I did not get asked for my picture to be taken hardly at all, while everyone had warned me that I'd be asked to pose all night. In fact, there are some pictures I wish had been taken but weren't. I don't think I got any pictures of me with most of my high school friends or with some of my Cincinnati friends :( And a lot of people, I didn't get to talk to or even say good bye to. I usually make it a point to at least say good bye to the bride and groom (and parents if I know them), but I think some people don't want to "bother" the bride and groom. I guess everyone's got a different opinion.

We definitely appreciate all our family and friends who came from (hope I get all the states): California, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee, North Carolina, Florida, Washington DC, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Maine, New Jersey and Virginia. We're honored you took the time and spent the money to be with us on our special day.

My family and extended family (minus baby Brandon) who made it to the wedding. But we missed those who couldn't make it: Grandma, Uncle Bill, Jeff, Jeanine, Wes, Tim, Rob, Jen and Gavin.

It was a fabulous day. As a perfectionist, I worked hard to get there! But John and I had lots of help from others, for which we are beyond grateful. From the people who threw showers, to those who helped fold programs, to those who lent their talents to the ceremony, we can't say thank you enough.

And though she asked me at the beginning to "keep her out of the blog," Mom, thank you one million times. You painted a closet when we were trying to move John's stuff in, you addressed envelopes for hours, you went shopping and scoured the mall for items I put on a list, you picked up a guest book at the last minute and much much more. Every time I talked to you, you offered to help, and I took you up on it more than a few times. You're the most generous mother a bride could have. And speaking of generous, Dad, I need to add you in there. Thank you both for all you provided for the wedding and reception. We have expressed our gratitude before, but once again, we want to say thanks! We had a fabulous time, and it wouldn't have been that way without you!

Hawaii time!

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel bad about the cake top, you didn't miss anything. I thought it was a stupid tradition from the beginning but Tom insisted that we save it.....he tasted a small piece on our anniversary (once we chiseled through the rock hard icing). I opted to watch and laugh as it LOOKED like cardboard, and apparently tasted like it too.

    ReplyDelete